Friday, May 04, 2007

RFID: Stupid then, stupid now.



If you have read my friend's Legionnaire ost about RFID being tottally vulnerable, (please Leg post your link cause I couldn't find it) this article might be a good way to secure your RFID code. Nice? NO! RFID chips are not made with any kind of protection, and this is a way to clear the big mess.

So if RFID was secure (as the producers claimed) why need a Firewall? Also something that caught my attention from tha article:
The portable battery-powered RFID Guardian uses an access control list to filter RFID queries, blocking queries that aren't approved.

What? What is approved and what is not? Let's say that the RFID powered passports are protected by this firewall,and only the airports can querry them, just how difficult it is for someone to immitate the also RFID powered airport signal?

The ehole RFID idea seems convenient but it is so insecure that does the exact opposite it was supposed to do...

3 comments:

Gerard Lover 4ever said...

HA!! I LOVE UR BLOG!!! ^_^ i dunno what else to really say but that, so... yea.

George 2K8 said...

Maybe you are talking about this one: "RFID Passports"

In that post I talk about the security of the RFID chip located on many new passports issued by the U.S. and the E.U.

I don't directly accuse the RFID protocol for being insecure but yeah, that, along with bluetooth, were designed without taking security into account.

Personally, I have a bluetooth wireless hands-free device for my cell phone so I must have bluetooth turned on at all times. It is funny when being in a public place to get connection requests from nearby cell phones which are left in search mode by their owners. Associating with one of these may mean, under certain circumstances, that my device and theirs will be on a peer-to-peer basis allowing me to place phone calls through their phone, transfer files, etc - all done transparently enough to pose a huge risk as cell phones slowly become "smarter" storing photos, videos and documents.

Weird AL said...

That's right. That was the post I was looking for...