Thursday, August 10, 2006

Agressive Marketing

Recently, my girlfriend bought a new Acer Laptop 5102 WLMi after my reccomendation. The Laptop is incredible, Dual-Core, 64 - bit... When I opened the box there was only one cd which I thought it would be the Windows XP recovery Disk. BUT NO! It was "Norton Antivirus for ACER Laptops only". Oh MY GOD! Neither the official site nor the e-shop I bought it from mentioned anything like that. Another surpise: Windows were pre-installed and the drivers were not! That means that they built the hard drives and install the OS without the rest of the machine being built. ANyway there was the Acer tool that installed them all.
My point is that I gave around 800 eyros for things I didn't want included on the price.
This is how MS and other companies achieved the monopoly of OSs'. That thing is called Agressive Marketing.
Twenty minutes after I opened the laptop I wanted to format it because it got to my nerves looking at those things.
Damn you Agressive Marketing...

1 comment:

George 2K8 said...

There's a lot to talk about the Windows Recovery Disc issue. Obviously all the System Recovery Files (including Windows) are somewhere in your hard disk and a utility gives you the opportunity to burn them in a DVD of your own. This tactic reduces production cost of your computer. Also, having the files in your hard disk allows you (in most cases) to do a full recovery directly from it. This may save you from a bad experience while on the move and having forgotten the recovery DVD at home. So I guess it isn't so bad. Bottomline, if Acer is cheap enough not to include a recovery DVD, we are large enough to burn our own!

To change to "Agressive Marketing" I do agree with you. Those Antivirus CDs or DVD Player Software don't come for free. Someone may say that this type of software is so essential you'd buy it anyway. None the less you should be able to choose the vendor yourself. And you know what? Forget about Antivirus. What about Windows? Do you know how hard it is to find a laptop with no OS pre-installed? Maybe I'm a Linux user. Why do I have to pay for Windows? Maybe I have already bought a version of Windows and don't need a second one.
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do :(